Policy, Law and Professional Practices assists the Utah State Board of Education (USBE) with:
- writing USBE policy and administrative rules;
- legislative relations;
- responding to public records requests under Government Records Access and Management Act (GRAMA);
- providing assistance to the office and local education agencies on legal issues, including fee waivers, training and guidance;
- assisting the public with questions about education law and grievances with the state's public education system; and
- managing the educator discipline and background check process in conjunction with the Utah Professional Practices Advisory Commission (UPPAC).
USBE Waivers Due to COVID-19
The USBE has waived several administrative rules in light of national and state declarations of emergency due to the COVID-19 pandemic:
For more state information, please refer to the USBE Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) Information and Resources State Waivers - Continuity of Education Plans.