Background Check Requirements
All educators are required to complete an FBI background fingerprint check cleared through the Utah State Board of Education per Board Rule R277-210. The fingerprints submitted to your school, district or other agencies do not meet the USBE requirement.
Educator Licensing Background Checks
The Utah State Board of Education must maintain a record of your fingerprints and background check in your educator record. You may request a background check and view your clearance status in USIMS. The Utah Professional Practices Advisory Commission (UPPAC) reviews all criminal history to ensure educators meet the requirements to hold a license.
Transfer Your Background Check
If you have a background check on file with a public school district or charter school, you may 'clone' your fingerprints to a different school district or charter school for employment or volunteer purposes. The Utah Bureau of Criminal Investigation can complete this process with the appropriate form and information.
- Go to the Utah Schools Information Management System (USIMS)
- Create an account and follow all prompts.
- Acknowledge the Criminal Background Review Fingerprint
- Schedule an appointment to complete fingerprinting step
- LiveScan fingerprinting completed in Utah must be coded National Child Protection Act/Volunteers for Children Act with the code, "NCPA/VCA" for the Utah State Board of Education, code "B1017."
- For a list of Utah Sites: Utah Educator LiveScan Fingerprint Sites (Google Docs)
- Card submission instructions link is found in the “Criminal Background Review Fingerprint Instructions” section in USIMS. Card must be mailed to:
Utah State Board of Education – Fingerprints
250 E 500 S
PO Box 144200
Salt Lake City, UT 84114-4200
- Average clearance time is approximately 20-25 business days from the date fingerprinting is processed or card is received.
- Status will be updated in USIMS and show the Criminal Background Review Requirement Lookup task as “Completed”.
Note: No cards will be mailed to you. Please read directions carefully to avoid any processing delays.
Re-activation or WIN Fingerprints
When a USBE background check was completed either prior to July 1, 2015, or the background check has been discontinued in the BCI Rapback network, the educator is required to update their fingerprint tracking in the FBI Rapback network. No individual is permitted to work or be in contact with any student if the background check has not cleared.
- Log into your USIMS account and acknowledge the Criminal Background Review Fingerprint task,
- Schedule an appointment and complete the Utah-based LiveScan fingerprint step, or
- Schedule an appointment and complete a fingerprint card and mail this to the USBE at the address listed above.
In rare instances, fingerprint quality may be too low to register for the FBI Rapback. USBE will contact the individual to make a 2nd submission for prints. If the quality is still too low, the background status is registered with the Western Identification Network (WIN) and these results are valid for 2 years. Educators will be notified by USBE to re-take fingerprints every two years or until they are registered in FBI Rapback.
Utah Professional Practices Advisory Commission (UPPAC)
UPPAC is the arm of the USBE charged with promoting and maintaining the high degree of professional ethics and practice required in the education profession. In the event questions arise with the background clearance status, applicants will receive an email from UPPAC that provides instructions on how to resolve any inquiries.
For questions regarding documents and procedures to clear background checks with issues, please contact UPPAC at (801) 538-7745, or by email to UPPAC@schools.utah.gov.