Early Childhood K-3 License Application
Utah State Board of Education Educator Licensing
1. How old does my child have to be to enter Kindergarten?
Children need to be five years of age before September 2 of the year in which admission is sought.
Refer to the Utah State Legislatures:
2. When do Kindergarten classes start?
Contact your Local Education Agency (LEA) (District/Charter) for Kindergarten start dates.
3. Can my child skip Kindergarten and attend First Grade?
If the child is 5 years old before September 2, they would enroll in Kindergarten. Your next step is to contact the LEA (District/Charter) for further information.
4. Does my child have to attend kindergarten?
A school-aged minor must be enrolled in school. The definitions define school-age minor as at least six years of age, but younger than 18. As Kindergarten is for age 5, it would be optional.
5. Can my child be enrolled in two Kindergarten classes?
A Kindergarten student may only enroll in one LEA at a time.
6. How long are Kindergarten classes?
A minimum of two hours per day per session in Kindergarten.
2017-2018 Kindergarten Class Counts by Kindergarten Type
Utah State Board of Education Data and Statistics
R277-419: Pupil Accounting
Utah Office of Administrative Rules
Utah State Legislature: