Welcome to Dual Language Immersion
Utah’s Dual Language Immersion program offers a rich bilingual experience for young learners when their minds are developmentally best able to acquire a second language.
Instruction is divided between two high quality creative classrooms:
- One English
- One in the Second Language (Chinese, French, German, Portuguese or Spanish)
- Second Language Skills: Students achieve high proficiency in the immersion language.
- Improved Performance on Standardized Tests: Immersion students perform as well as or better than non-immersion students on standardized tests of English and math administered in English.
- Enhanced Cognitive Skills: Immersion students typically develop greater cognitive flexibility, demonstrating increased attention control, better memory, and superior problem solving skills as well as an enhanced understanding of their primary language.
- Increased Cultural Sensitivity: Immersion students are more aware of and show more positive attitudes towards other cultures and an appreciation of other people.
- Long Term Benefits: Immersion students are better prepared for the global community and job markets where a second language is an asset.
Dual Language Immersion Endorsement Application
Utah State Board of Education (USBE) Educator Licensing
2017-2018 School List
Utah's Statewide Dual Language Immersion Initiative
Center for Advanced Research on Language Acquisition (CARLA)
University of Minnesota
Center for Applied Linguistics (CAL) Research
Utah Dual Language Immersion
Dual Language Immersion Team
Phone: (801) 538-7743 | E-mail
Phone: (801) 538-7770 | E-mail