Crisis and Emergency Response Protocol
Types of Drills:
- Lockdown is followed by "locks, lights, out of sight" and is the protocol used to secure individual rooms and keep students quiet and in place.
- Lockout is followed by the Directive: "Get Inside. Lock outside doors" and is the protocol used to safeguard students and staff within the building.
- Evacuate is always followed by a location and is used to move students and staff from one location to a different location in or out of the building.
- Shelter in Place is always followed by a type and a method and is the protocol for group and self protection.
- Parent/Student Re-unification processes following an evacuation should have a pre-determined location and delegated school staff with school roles to help coordinate with parents and re-unification site, and the school site.
Be Ready Utah
State of Utah
K-12 School Security Guide (2nd Edition) and School Security Survey
United States Department of Homeland Security
The Role of Districts in Preparing Emergency Response Plans: A Companion to the School Guide
Readiness an Emergency Management for Schools (REMS) Technical Assistance Center
Welcome to the Tool Box
Readiness and Emergency Management for Schools (REMS)