College and Career Awareness offers exploration and preparation in college and career pathways focusing on jobs that are high skill and high demand, as well as satisfying and financially rewarding. The College and Career Awareness course is designed to help students identify their interests, abilities, and skills. With appropriate developmental information related to careers, educational pathways, and self-knowledge, students are able to begin to make college and career goals for the future. College and Career Awareness is designed to acquaint students with the Utah labor market and the employment opportunities for which they can prepare by defining a College and Career Ready Plan.
Through application-based lessons, College and Career Awareness allows students to utilize technology, develop foundational skills, and explore careers. The course provides information regarding additional courses and training related to each student’s career field of interest, as they begin to prepare for college and career.
College and Career Awareness Program Flyer
Students will increase their understanding of their individual roles and identity, including their goals and aspirations, their interests, and their work values. Students will learn about careers and know how to access current information about market demand, average earnings, and training and education requirements. Students’ increased understanding of their personal work-related characteristics and knowledge of careers and related education requirements, will support the development of well-defined College and Career Ready Plans.
Career Development Applications (CDAs) are organized as follows:
Role and Identity
- Reality Check
- Planning, Timing, Setting Goals
- Exploring Nontraditional Careers
Career Awareness: Options, Requirements, Readiness
- Learning the Language of College and Careers
- Lifelong Learning Pyramid
- Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities to Support College and Career Success
- The Relationship of Work Values to College and Career
College and Career Connections
- Identifying Career Interests
- Connecting Interests to Career Pathways
- College, Career and Financial Responsibility
- Positive Employments Traits
- Working Proactively With Others
College and Career Planning
- Effective Career Planning Resources
- 1, 2, 4 or More: A Smart Investment
- Jobs of the Future: STEM and More
- College and Career Awareness(Overview/Review)
Program Delivery Components
College and Career Awareness provides students with the direction, decision making, and planning needed to select their personal career paths. College and Career Awareness is an important part of a student's preparation in becoming college and career ready.
- The program is a year-long course taught by a team of Career and Technical Education teachers and school counselors.
- School counselors are involved in teaching important concepts to students and aligning the College and Career Readiness Plan.
- Students are provided with instruction in career development.
- The student learning activities provide hands-on, real-world application.
- Concepts come from project-based learning, agriculture, business and marketing, family and consumer sciences, health science, information technology, and technology and engineering education curricula.
- Students are involved in Work-Based Learning activities such as career fairs, guest speakers, field studies, and job shadows.
CTE Pathways identify courses within Career and Technical Education Areas of Study that offer students depth of knowledge and skill, linked with specific postsecondary programs culminating in degrees or certificates.
Students use Pathways to investigate a wide range of career choices. Pathways make it easier for students to understand the relevance of required courses and select elective courses more wisely.
CTE Areas of Study
Through Awareness Activities, students are exposed to CTE Career Pathways in:
- Agricultural Education
- Business and Marketing Education
- Family and Consumer Sciences Education
- Health Science Education
- Information Technology Education
- Skilled and Technical Sciences Education
- Technology and Engineering Education
Students also have an opportunity to explore individual interests through the following career fields:
- Arts & Recreation
- Social Humanitarian
- Marketing & Administration
- Business Operations
Our vision is to offer every student the opportunity to experience technology used in the workplace, develop beginning life skills, and explore careers that will assist him or her in eventually choosing a career, while giving each student the encouragement to achieve his or her goals.