Date: April 24, 2014
Time: 8 a.m. - 4 p.m.
Location: Utah State Library
250 North 1950 West in Multipurpose Room, Salt Lake City, Utah
The purpose of this meeting is to facilitate cooperation and coordination among the Utah State Office of Education (USOE), districts and charter schools to further the efficient, accurate and timely exchange of school performance data. This agenda and all the information presented during data meetings will be available on the USOE Information Technology website.
Thursday, April 24, 2014
Networking Continental Breakfast
Welcome - Jerry Winkler
General Information and USOE IT - Jerry Winkler, Derek Howard, Brent Page, Dave Hughes
- Introduce USOE IT staff and applications
- IT direction at USOE
Superintendent’s Message on Opting Out - Jerry Winkler
New Legislation – Student Backpack - Jerry Winkler
New Discrepancy Reports - Travis Rawlings
Student Privacy Concerns - Legal
UTREx - Jared Browne, Clint Thomsen, Derek Howard, Mistyamber Osborne, Shane Johnson
Status Updates - Jared Browne
- Status of requests (ie: behavior reports, etc.). Where is UTREx headed? What’s currently on the list?
Demo on Student Locator Framework (SLF) - Clint Thomsen
Statistics - Jared Browne
- Stats on submissions, total students, etc.
eTranscripts - Jared Browne
UTREx Reporting - Clint Thomsen, Mistyamber Osborn
- What reports to use when submitting data? Examine? Where are all the error reports and how do I use them?
Break (15 Minutes)
Data & Statistics - Aaron Brough, Sarah Wald
- “S” Code
- CACTUS, Grade Low Validations
School Finance - Brent Page, Jennifer Yates-Givens
UPEFS, Transparency - Brent Page, Von Horton
Where Funds Come From - Jennifer Yates-Givens
- A budget detail of the Minimum School Program will be presented and the important data elements for each line item will be discussed, along with a description of how the data are used and when the data are due.
SOEP - Cory Kanth
- Specifics of course-reporting for online courses, in relation to the SOEP program and otherwise, and USOE’s upcoming service to LEAs and students, in the form of “SEATS,” which is the “Statewide Online Education Program Enrollment, Approval & Tracking System.”
Assessment - Derek Howard, Tadd Vawdrey, Aaron Brough, Paula Huber
Data Flow - Derek Howard
SAGE Help - Derek Howard
Testing, Accountability Timeline - Todd Vawdrey
Walk-in Students - Todd Vawdrey
First Enrolled in U.S. - Todd Vawdrey
How to Setup Your Courses - Todd Vawdrey
Assessment and Home Schooled Students - Paula Huber
- How to submit home schooled students for testing.
ELL and SAGE: Opt Out Clarification - Todd Vawdrey
Lunch - on your own.
- USOE Staff will be available for Q&A
Teaching and Learning
ELL - Kristin Campbell
Data Security - Karl Buchanan (Wasatch)
Presentation (Data Security) | Presentation (Data Security Plan)
Homebound, Hospitalized Students - Jennifer Howell
- How to enter them: Confusion among districts this year, and Special Ed is concerned with the numbers they are receiving.
R277-419-5 (Student Membership)
Utah State Board of Education Special Education Rules (Refer to Pages)
- Page 15
Special education may include services provided in the home.
- Page 21
LEA is not required to provide special education to home school students.
- Page 26
If the parent of a student who is home schooled does not provide consent for evaluation, the student is not eligible.
- Page 67
The continuum of placements for instruction must include home, hospitals, and institutions.
- Page 121
Students who are enrolled in home school full time do not have special education rights.
- Page 121
The LEA may choose to develop a services plan to provide special education to home school students. These students are not enrolled and do not generate membership or funding.
- Page 122
Students with disabilities enrolled in both home and public school are considered dually enrolled. These students receive an IEP for a portion of the school day the student is enrolled.
Dual Enrollment and R277-438
Child Nutrition Programs - Brian Gardner
Presentation (Reporting Due Dates) | Presentation (Declaration of Household Income School Year 2014-15)
- Declarations of Household Income in provisions of the National School Lunch Programs Child Nutrition Programs reports and due dates.
Sharing Data Between LEAs - Russ Graham, Kim Hudson, Nikki Argyle (Nebo)
Presentation (Dealing with Data Requests) | Presentation (FERPA Exemptions Summary)
- District A calls District B and says, “I’m so-n-so and I need Johnny’s test scores. Will you give them to me?” What can be shared? How can it be shared? Email? Fax? Phone?
Concurrent Enrollment Matching - Kristen Campbell
Elementary Core Codes - Kristin Campbell
Year-End Web Survey (YEWS) - Randy Raphael
SERF: What is inside a SERF request - Robert Nicholson
SSID - Robert Nicholson
- Clarification and importance of enrolling students with the legal name and the board policy regarding the enrollment of legal names.
OCR Data Collection, CRDC Survey - Brent Page, Jared Browne
Federal Teacher Evaluation Elements - Brent Page
Open Discussion - All USOE Staff
Wrap-Up - Derek Howard
Thank you for attending. Look for an upcoming announcement for our Fall Data Conference in November!
Additional information not included in above topics:
Last Updated: 05/01/2014