The Utah Reading Endorsement offers practicing elementary and secondary teachers an opportunity become reading specialists. The purpose of this program is to strengthen reading achievement of Utah's school children by providing their teachers with additional skills and knowledge for augmenting classroom reading instruction in grades K-12.
The Level 1 Reading Endorsement requires a passing score on a PRAXIS content knowledge test and seven (7) graduate-level courses taken within the last eight (8) years. The application for the Level Reading Endorsement can be downloaded here.
The PRAXIS Teaching Reading (0204 or 5204) test must be passed with a score of 159 or higher. More information about the test and registration can be found at (http://www.ets.org/praxis/prepare/materials/0204).
The following seven course frameworks demonstrate the depth and breadth of the expected curriculum within a course meeting that requirement. Reading endorsement courses are aligned to Utah’s instructional goals and Core Standards as well as to the International Reading Association Standards.
• Foundations of Literacy Instruction
• Content Area Reading and Writing Instruction
• Reading Assessment & Instructional Interventions
• Instructional Implications of Literacy Development
• Reading Comprehension Instruction
• Writing Instruction
• Instruction with Literature & Informational Texts for Children and Young Adults
The Utah Level 1 Reading Endorsement Frameworks revised by a committee comprised of university faculty and district specialists in 2012-2013. Ongoing review of the courses will be conducted as follows:
Spring 2014: Writing Instruction
Reading Comprehension Instruction
Fall 2014: Reading Assessment & Instructional Interventions
Instructional Implications of Literacy Development
Spring 2015: Foundations of Literacy Instruction
Content Area Reading and Writing Instruction
Fall 2015: Instruction with Literature & Information Texts for Children and Young Adults
Universities currently offering these courses must have syllabi and instructor vitas on file with USOE.
If you are an institution that would like to demonstrate your alignment to the Utah Level 1 Reading Endorsement Frameworks, please submit the following to the K-12 Literacy Coordinator, Tiffany Hall, via tiffany [dot] hall [at] schools [dot] utah [dot] gov (E-mail).
- Contact information for the person submitting the information.
- Official university course description, including course level designation.
- Current syllabus for the course being taught.
- Written summary of the alignment between the Utah Framework and the proposed class, including documentation or artifacts as needed.
- List of instructors for the course and current curriculum vita (Utah requires a minimum of a Master’s degree and Level 2 reading endorsement for course instructors).
Level 2 Reading Endorsement
Teachers who have obtained a Level I Endorsement and who want to work as school- or district-level literacy coaches will want to complete the Level 2 Endorsement. This endorsement provides a systems-level perspective on literacy instruction and program design and will deepen the candidate’s knowledge of literacy instruction and implementation. The application for this endorsement can be found here.
Utah Reading Endorsement Correlation with the International Reading Association Standards for Reading Professionals – Revised 2010